Follow Our VISTAs...

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Beehive at Independence Heritage Festival

Earlier today, I drove out to Independence, Missouri to have a booth at one of the more popular community events through the year, the Independence Heritage Festival. It's an interesting event that combines multicultural performances like song and dance with some fun activities, like face painting for the kids. Even though it turned out to be a cold, windy day, they still had a pretty decent turnout, largely in part to the great work LINC did to promote the event.

I came to talk with folks about the Beehive. When my buddies at LINC first told me they wanted me to man a Beehive table, there was a little miscommunication because I wasn't sure if this was the best audience. Up to this point, I've thought of the Beehive's demographic as closer to the urban poor and not the middle class folks that would probably be there. But as the event drew closer, I realized that Independence is a working class town that's been hit as hard as anyone by the recession.



So I set up a table with various Beehive marketing materials I've come up with, and people were liking the idea. The traffic on our side of the festival wasn't huge but very positive and friendly; I had some quality discussions. The video was taken with LINC's HD Flip Camera. I call it super flip. But look at the quality!

-Tommy D in K.C

2 comments:

Ruqiyyah said...

Hey Tommy,

Great job! I really like that tagline "online instead of in line" Have you run that by phillip? I think that could be a really great campaign.

thanks,
Ruqiyyah

Tommy D! said...

Actually, online instead of in line is a quote from our founder and a pretty good one. It's worth using here and there for sure. I'm heard of this Phillip guy. I will have to get in contact with him.