Follow Our VISTAs...

Friday, February 27, 2009

Moving and Shaking from Michelle B

Just one part of my Connected Community Project here in Winston Salem is working with the local library's Computer Training Bridge, which is a network of the library branches and local rec and community centers that host free computer classes. The coaches are all volunteers who tend to range in age from early twenties up and represent multiple races and both genders. I have been helping OE's contact at the library to organize the program.
So far I have noticed that the coaches lacked a personal connection. Although they have a google group where they can post if they need help with a class, they don't seem to have personal connections with one another. My partner at the library said that she has organized group meetings in the past and would like to do so again.
I jumped at the chance to organize one as I have also started thinking of the volunteer computer coaches as excellent resources for the other parts of my Vista project. They might be able to introduce me to new parts of the community a newbie like me wouldn't see otherwise, perfect material for the Beehive. Or maybe they would like to be involved when I (eventually) start a Digital Connectors program.

I posted the information for today's meeting on the google group with hopes that many of them would show up, ready and willing to hear and share what's working about the program, what needs to be improved, and in doing so make connections with one another. Overall, I believe it was a success. The turn out was not as good as I'd hoped, but some people came. There were a few points where my partner and I were struggling to find things to talk about, but conversation was mostly steady. We talked about issues with the various skill levels of their students, and how some people were signing up for classes that were too advanced for them. We discussed having an online quiz to be sure that students have a good grasp of how to use the mouse, check their email, save and manage files, and other skills needed for the advanced classes. One coach was even able to find another coach to serve as an assistant for a class she has tomorrow. I got exciting watching them exchange cards. Hopefully they will keep each other in mind if they need support in the future. My partner is wonderful, but sometimes very busy. I think it will ease her load to have the coaches communicate directly with one another.

When I asked if we should have another meeting soon everyone seemed very open to the idea. Overall, I am encouraged to continue working with the coaches. I can see they are a diverse and committed group of people that I will be proud to be a part of.

My only concern at this point is how long I have been here (about two months) and how little I feel like I've accomplished. Still, some progress is better than none. At least I have a better idea now what I'm doing.

Good luck with your projects everyone. I'd love to read about how the new people are feeling. Have a great day!

No comments: