Follow Our VISTAs...

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Today's Quote

Here is the quote read today on our VISTA call:

"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

This is the price and the promise of citizenship. "

-President Obama

I'd love to hear what you guys think about this quote! Please hit the "post" link below.


~Holly Kalemeris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superficially, this quote signals the return of poetry and eloquence to the Presidential Office. We are being called to action as dynamic citizens, no longer passive, apathetic, or entitled, to embrace the spirit of service by doing good works; Corporations and the individual will be held accountable while reaping just rewards from actions that nurture the self and sustain society. My hope is that Mr.Obama’s words serve as a declaration for a Golden Age of National Service.

Shelli said...

I love what Kevin wrote and whole-heartedly agree.
I don't want the word hope to wear out its welcome in my vocabulary but I find myself saying it a lot lately. This new turn in our country gives me hope for the future.
My own commitment to service is relatively new. It took my college experience to draw me out of my shell and show me the world and how much trouble it's in, but also that maybe I can help. Maybe this new president and all of his beautiful speeches will do that for more people. I am still surprised when I meet so many people not only willing to work on our society but committed to making a difference and confident that they can help. There are more volunteers than programs at the library where I am working one day a week, and maybe they just need a little oranization to make the program great.
We, everyone of us, has to take personal responsibility for the change we want to see in our communities, to make sure it gets done.