Follow Our VISTAs...

Monday, June 28, 2010

Milestone in Atlanta: Community Technology Center

After 11 months of service I finally opened the Community Technology Center (a.k.a computer lab) at Seven Courts Apartments.

The first attempt, the apartment assigned was broken into.
Second attempt, new management was hired and the apartment assigned for the CTC was rented out.

And finally my last attempt with the help of April Penn, the AmeriCorps Summer Associate for Seven Courts, we finally open the doors on June 18, 2010.



April was influential in advocating to the new property management the importance of having a Community Technology Center in her community. We are now conducting training on The Beehive and GCFLearnFree (Word 2007 & Excel 2007). In addition, I am also using the curriculum that Ruqiyyah developed in subjects such as, Internet Basic's, Homework Help and Safety Online, etc.

-andy j. santamaria
Atlanta AmeriCoprs*VISTA

5 comments:

Meg said...

You all have come a long way, good job Andy and April!

Anonymous said...

Great job guys

Tina Coles said...

Yay, Andy! You know I have a deep empathy for your struggles (they mirrored mine in some ways) so this victory is very sweet. Yay also to April for her role in making this happen.

I finally opened my 3rd computer lab (of just one computer) at the Linda Vista site, so my last milestone was also accomplished before my year ended. What a relief!

Adwoa said...

Congrats Andy and April! I know you've poured out a lot in that community and it's nice to see the tangible benefit of a computer lab.

Tommy D said...

Great work, Andy! Nice video too; does a great communicating the obstacles and the time it took to achieve this.