Follow Our VISTAs...

Monday, June 28, 2010

Successful summer service-learning sessions!

Just so that this blog doesn't end up being Laura's blog (as Tommy says), I'll post some recent info about my summer computer lab workshops facilitated by my Rockhurst service-learning Education grad students:

Computer lab workshop outcomes where Rockhurst service-learning students led one-on-one sessions:
-30 service hours provided by 8 Rockhurst students
-19 program participants (residents and their guests) attended 9 workshops in 2 buildings - mostly resume/job search and a few computer basics
-14 unique people were served
-10 job applications submitted online
-7 Beehive accounts created
-9 resumes created
-4 email accounts created

Note that this was all accomplished in just 3 weeks in June! I'm waiting to hear reflections from my volunteers but the direct feedback I've received so far has been really positive. One student was recently laid off during the workshops -- she was so enthused about working with my residents, that she offered to continue volunteer past her service learning requirements since she had "more free time now"!

Another little vignette that will stick with me during this semeseter was working with a resident to create a resume on the Beehive. When we got to the work history part, I asked her what her last job was, she was quiet and then started crying. I was surprised and felt bad that I might have said something that triggered a sad or bad memory. When I returned with a tissue, I asked if that was the case but she said no -- she was just overwhelmed with emotion that she was able to take this positive step in her life. It was a really poignant moment, and summed up my year of service really well.

--
Tina from KCMO

2 comments:

Meg said...

That's really powerful vignette Tina. I'm sure that will stay with you for years to come. Great job gathering all those statistics.

Anonymous said...

Wow Tina Great work...