Follow Our VISTAs...

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Two Month Slump??

Completely unrelated, awesome image
"Well, apparently after a couple of months you're going to get depressed," my supervisor Brent told me during our second-ever meeting. Flipping through a binder he'd gotten from his supervisor training, he pointed out an adorable graphic of a cartoon man running along a line representing his enthusiasm throughout a VISTA year. He starts as an enthusiastic beginner. About a month in, he has a "second thoughts" phase where he's hiding behind the line, barely peeking over the top. Then two months in, the line dips sharply, and the little VISTA man is barely hanging on for his life with the words "Disillusioned Learner". We had a good laugh. Every now and then we'd bring it up as a running joke.

In the middle of a bleh Tuesday today, I looked at the calender on my computer and realized that I've just now hit that two month mark (just like the rest of my VISTA class). Of course, I've had up and down moments since I started, but now every time I have a down moment, I start wondering "Am I a disillusioned learner now!?" It's true that I've started to see some of the frustrating politics that non-profits deal with (even within One Economy), and now and then I will see my ultimate pet peeve: simple tasks that should take five minutes but suddenly you have to talk to five different people for it to happen. Still, I'd say I'm still pretty enthusiastic to be a VISTA. I think asking a VISTA if they're going through their disillusioned learner phase is like asking a woman if she's going through her period; just don't go there. Suddenly every time there's a problem, "Well, he's just disillusioned right now".

My VISTA situation so far has been somewhat foggy because the two guys who are responsible for my position being created are also two of the busiest people in a world of busy people: my supervisor Brent and our One Economy regional manager Donovan. I can tell that building and promoting the Beehive- the main agenda on my VAD- are not among their highest priorities. I'm also pretty sure that I've gotten on both their nerves by constantly wanting in to help with different projects. It's good to know I'm annoying the right people! It's lead to some interesting directions, including becoming a picture/video guy for LINC and a possible citizen journalism project. I think some other interesting possibilities may be on the horizon. I'm trying to deal with the problem of being a guy with free time surrounded by people drowning in too many projects. Pass it on, I'm ready!

If this is as bad as it gets, it's going to be an amazing year!

-Tommy D from K.C

6 comments:

From the desks of: One Economy VISTAS said...

Hey Tommy,

As always I enjoy your humor. I think the nature of self directed work is that its only as good as your enthusiasm. Pick something that YOU want to do. If youre interested in quirky things about a place (like the biggest collection of hello kittys in Kentucky) chances are that parents with young children are too. Develop a cool section of the beehive with local fun spots that are free and low cost. Matter of fact, when you are done, do one for Atlanta too!

Thanks,
Ruqiyyah

Laura said...

Hi Tommy,
I agree with Ruqiyyah, I think developing a section of the beehive showcasing local, affordable fun spots would be a great feature! I'm not sure about the capacity of the beehive, but it would be awesome if you could include an events calendar or maybe even some flip video footage of the local places.

I know it's hard not to get frustrated when it seems like you're the only one with nothing to do. But again, echoing Ruqiyyah, dig into events or projects around Kansas City that spark your own interests. The Beehive has a lot of really great information about a wide variety of subjects and can be applicable in just as many situations. Have you looked into the computer training classes the local computer labs offer? Maybe you can add a "Intro to the Beehive" class to the schedule.

It sounds like you're staying positive, which is great and oh so important as you move through your VISTA year.

Laura Parewski

Anonymous said...

Hey Tommy,
You took the words from my two-(and four)-month mark right out of my mouth. It gets better! Just keep on truckin' and doing what you're doing.

Michelle

P.S. I love Hello Kitty!

Tina said...

Check out Tommy's handiwork on the KC Beehive at:
http://kansascity.thebeehive.org/special-features/internet-lessons-tommy-d

He's been busy despite his 'time-on-my-hands' lament. I think in the non-profit world if you have a moment to blink or breathe, you think you aren't busy enough :-)

Thanks Tommy! I'm glad you are my partner in KCMO.

Adwoa said...

Tommy,

Your tutorials that Tina posted are amazing! I'm going to a housing authority in DC on Friday and I'd like to let these videos run for residents to come get a sneak peak at Beehive services. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your handy work.

Tommy D! said...

Hey guys, thanks for all the supportive comments! Don't worry, I'm still finding plenty to do. I keep a daily log of activities, and I still haven't had a day where I didn't feel like I had something worthwhile to do. If anything, I'm being too productive! I've already created so much local content for the K.C Hive so fast, I'm trying to see how I can branch out and find new ways to help the community, reassessing my role a little. I think some interesting possibilities may be on the horizon (maybe with Hello Kitty??).
-Tommy D